Assistant Vice President of DevelopmentCompany: LSU Foundation
Date Posted: December 9, 2017
The LSU Foundation is seeking a mission-driven, experienced professional with exceptional fundraising abilities to serve as Assistant Vice President of Development. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Assistant Vice President will build, manage, and inspire a dynamic team of development professionals and cultivate and solicit prospect donors with the potential to contribute major gifts aimed at meeting the strategic goals of the university and Foundation.With a creative, energetic approach to fundraising and constituent engagement, the AVP will help foster an atmosphere charged with enthusiasm and dynamism for institutional goals. Consequently, the ideal candidate will bring the stature, professional confidence, and proven ability to engage, motivate, and develop productive relationships with diverse leaders and volunteers, faculty, donors, prospects, staff, and other internal and external constituencies. Excellent communication, writing, and listening skills, as well as intellectual curiosity and dexterity, are requisite.
- Provide tactical leadership, management, evaluation, and motivation to all development personnel in the academic units to drive increased development activity and total contributions.
- Assist major gift fundraisers in the development of donor strategies and provide accountability to ensure continual development of the major gift pipeline.
- Serve on the Vice President of Development's management team and work with the VP to oversee the implementation of the focused campaigns and strategies.
- Maintain a modest portfolio of highly rated prospects, focusing on the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with university and foundation leadership, faculty, staff, colleagues, volunteers, alumni and, in doing so, further the culture of philanthropy across LSU’s diverse community.
- Ensure the application of fundraising best practices, making certain that policies and practices comply with regulatory requirements, LSU Foundation policy, and donor intent.
- Maintain a work environment which encourages participation, promotes productivity, and utilizes clearly defined goals and methods with which to measure success.
- Partner effectively with Prospect Management, regularly attending operational- and strategy-focused meetings.
- Collaborate with other functional leads including annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, and advancement services to ensure a high level of coordination and to foster a service-minded culture.
- Serve as subject matter expert for system enhancements (e.g. Advance) and as an advocate for all areas of development (annual giving, planned giving, principal gifts, etc.) regarding policy and process changes.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of 7 years of successful fundraising experience reflecting a proven track record of building and maintaining a prospect portfolio and securing significant (five, six and seven figure) gifts, including the ability to effectively identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects and donors, all within a higher education setting
- A minimum of three years of experience directing and managing a results-oriented team while maintaining best practices, camaraderie, and shared accountability
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and listening)
- Ability and willingness to travel and occasionally work evenings and weekends
- Entrepreneurial instincts, intellectual curiosity, and an ability to work both independently and as a team member
- A collaborative spirit and approach to fundraising
- A team player comfortable with ambiguity as decisions or processes evolve over time and the ability to quickly refine strategies after receiving feedback from stakeholders
- The ability to set priorities, manage time, leverage limited resources, and meet deadlines