Director of Alumni EngagementCompany: Louisiana State University
Date Posted: January 9, 2018
The Director of Alumni Engagement is primarily responsible for strategizing, developing, leading, executing and managing a comprehensive alumni engagement strategy for the College of Human Sciences & Education with the goal of dramatically increasing opportunities for meaningful engagement, some of which will lead to high-level volunteer leadership and/or significant private support over time. Collaboration with internal and external constituents is essential to ensure professional opportunities and beneficial partnerships between the College and our current and future alumni.
Alumni Engagement Strategy and Execution
- Develop and lead strategy vision for alumni and parent engagement in the College; manage implementation to engage, cultivate, and involve CHSE alumni in ways that support the College’s vision and strategic direction, including the cultivation of high-level volunteer leadership and the potential for significant private support
- Plan strategy and organize high-impact annual events including (e.g., Hall of Distinction Banquet, regional and global outreach, home football pregame tailgate events)
- Partner with and involve deans, directors, faculty, staff, and students, both locally and across the globe as part of outreach efforts
- Work closely with Development/Institutional Advancement team to source and engage alumni in creating a culture of engagement and philanthropy
- Meet one-on-one with alumni on behalf of the College to discuss and strategize current and future volunteer opportunities
- Identify, promote, and support alumni and volunteer recognition opportunities (e.g., alumni awards, alumni publications, community awards)
- Annually benchmark and survey the alumni outreach efforts – evolve and adjust programs when needed.
- Work collaboratively with the CHSE Office of Communications & Engagement Services team to create an integrated marketing campaign with targeted messaging and a call to engage alumni and current students, evolving and changing each year
- Work with CHSE Office of Communications & Engagement Services team to elevate the visibility of alumni throughout the college via digital media, printed materials and speaking opportunities, as appropriate
- Work with CHSE Office of Communications & Engagement Services team to create relevant promotional platforms for a variety of key stakeholders that meet strategic objectives for outreach, including: current students, young alumni, all alumni, donors, volunteers, parents, etc.
- Manage the Peabody Society Alumni Board of Directors and Dean’s Circle, ensuring their work aligns with the strategic direction of the college and provide communications and feedback support
- Develop a successful mechanisms (e.g., young alumni organization) to encourage students to maintain engagement with the college as they transition to early career alumni
Alumni Student Recruitment
- Collaborate with CHSE Graduate and Undergraduate Recruitment to integrate alumni engagement with student recruitment efforts by developing recruitment opportunities for alumni, surveying alumni on their interest to volunteer, and building and maintaining a database of active alumni recruitment volunteers
- Designs and delivers training for alumni student recruitment volunteers in collaboration with CHSE Recruitment
- Coordinates the scheduling of alumni student recruitment volunteers at appropriate recruitment events (e.g., college fairs, contacting prospective or admitted students, hosting send-off parties for admitted seniors) and supplies alumni recruitment volunteers with appropriate recruitment materials
- Develops, recommends, implements, and maintains a communication plan that offers acknowledgement of and gratitude to alumni recruitment volunteers and coordinates sharing appropriate data concerning alumni recruitment volunteers to CHSE Recruiting
Alumni Engagement Administration
- Utilize the Advance (donor/prospect) database to pull reports and contact constituents for events, outreach, and dissemination of print and web-based publications
- Increase the accuracy and completeness of constituent contact information in databases
- Attend monthly meetings with alumni directors across campus as well as liaison with advancement professionals from the LSU Alumni Association and LSU Foundation to share information, discuss best practices and to identify potential partnerships and joint initiatives
- Align and manage budget to meet overall alumni engagement strategy
- Facilitate the dissemination of alumni contact information as requested by programs and departments for mailings, invitations to events, direct contact, etc.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Director of Development
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and at least five years of experience in alumni engagement, communications and/or related areas, with a proven track record of success. Willingness to travel regionally and nationally.
Seven years of experience in alumni engagement, communications, and/or related areas, with a proven track record of success, experience in a higher education environment, experience in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, in addition to database management and data manipulation. Ideal candidates will have:
- Experience in development/institutional advancement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills
- Excellent presentation skills, including high level of comfort presenting to senior management
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated marketing management skills and the ability to work effectively with decision-makers across all levels within an organization
- Proficient project manager with the ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs
- Experience in constituent engagement/engagement management
- Experience developing, planning and rolling out strategy
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political, and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students from around the world
Special or Physical Qualifications
Ability to travel regionally and nationally.
Additional Position Information
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; annual and sick leave; 14 paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption; training and development opportunities; employee discounts and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity/equal access employer.