Major Gift OfficerCompany: The American Red Cross
Date Posted: December 13, 2016
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity as a Major Gift Officer.
This mission-critical role serves as the key steward for a rich portfolio of current and prospective philanthropists in support of the American Red Cross. You will be expected to meet annual revenue targets by identifying, engaging, cultivating, and ultimately soliciting major gifts from regional donors, thereby advancing the organizational mission and creating meaningful impact in the lives of both donors and beneficiaries of that mission.
- Implement programs and activities in partnership with chapter Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, educate, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher
- Meet or exceed minimum annual fundraising targets $500,000 for the current fiscal year including renewable gifts and new incremental revenue, adjusting as necessary in the event of major domestic disasters
- Design and disseminate customized solicitation strategies targeting organizational objectives and donor interests in partnership with cross-departmental teams; maintain up-to-date donor records in region/chapter database following donor contact
- Develop and execute ongoing strategies for qualifying prospects and elevating them to prospect status via small cultivation events, research, and community networking; 30% of the portfolio is expected to have been sourced by the MGO
- Coordinate identification and solicitation of potential planned giving prospects with the Gift Planning Officer
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree highly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ major gifts leadership experience with an established track record of proactively growing philanthropic revenue from diverse constituencies; corporate and/or B2B sales leadership experience may substitute for some fundraising experience
- Significant expertise with Baton Rouge’s funding community highly desirable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce.com)
- Exemplary commitment to collaborative leadership with heavy focus on customer service and relating well with multiple constituencies
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you’ve been waiting for, please visit our website at:
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.