Director of DevelopmentCompany: Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium
Date Posted: September 26, 2017
The Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) was formed in 1979 to increase awareness of the environmental, economic and cultural value of Louisiana’s coastal and marine environments by conducting research and educational programs. A public institution that is a program of the Louisiana Board of Regents system, LUMCON offers educational programming and research opportunities at the W.J. DeFelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA, at sea onboard its research vessels, and across the state and region via outreach efforts. LUMCON is a premier marine research and education facility entering a growth phase under the direction of a creative and visionary leader. LUMCON faculty, staff, volunteers and students come from across the country to be part of the LUMCON mission and the coastal Louisiana experience.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for establishing and building a comprehensive fundraising program for LUMCON, including individual, corporate and foundation gifts from local, regional and national sources. The Development Director will direct fundraising strategy for LUMCON, will secure philanthropic gifts for LUMCON, will partner with state, regional and national stakeholders to maximize LUMCON’s fundraising, and will provide senior-level development expertise to the Executive Director. This is an exciting opportunity to build a fundraising program at an established and highly regarded institution, and includes a competitive and comprehensive salary and benefits package.
- Work with the Executive Director and various teams across LUMCON to establish and implement a comprehensive organizational strategy and program for fundraising.
- Meet prospective benefactors and establish effective communications with them.
- Attract and secure philanthropic gifts, including corporate gifts and partnerships, gifts in kind, major gifts and foundation grants.
- Maintain an active portfolio of individual, corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
- Select and maintain a comprehensive, accurate fundraising database of donors, prospective donors and partners.
- Create and implement a personalized donor cultivation and stewardship process, to include donor tours, experiences, recognition, and other interactions.
- Communicate and collaborate with outreach staff and social media coordinator to promote and publicize LUMCON.
- Interpret LUMCON and its programs, vision and goals to the community.
- Generate, analyze and interpret reports on donor fundraising interactions to make strategic decisions to maximize giving opportunities. Prepare and present information and progress to senior leadership and other stakeholders.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards and fundraising best practices, reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to the needs of donors.
- Proven development professional with at least 3 years of demonstrated experience in leading and developing successful fundraising programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Proven track record of building progressive development programs, cultivating donor relationships, and closing major gifts.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial, creative thinker.
- A self-starter with a positive attitude and demonstrated capability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Skilled at working cross functionally with leaders as well as high-level volunteers and boards.
- Ability to drive and manage project work, establish and monitor priorities, and maintain flexibility while meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Interest, understanding, and commitment to marine science and marine conservation, especially of the Gulf Coast, is beneficial.
- Prior experience building and/or maintaining a nonprofit fundraising / development program in a similar field is preferred.
- Flexible approach to work, with some evenings and weekends being required, as well as a willingness to travel regionally and nationally, while maintaining headquarters at the LUMCON Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA.
Submit resume and cover letter to Mary Ontko, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW